Antioxidants: Fundamentals, Applications and Health Effects
Antioxidants are used in the food and feed industry to neutralize the deleterious effects of oxidation processes that lead to quality deterioration. They are also used to combat oxidative stress in the body and to help in the treatment of a number of disease conditions. While both synthetic and natural antioxidants may be used, concerns about the safety of some synthetic antioxidants had led to concerted efforts to identify and use natural antioxidants in foods. This short course will cover the fundamentals as well as the application of antioxidants and discusses their delivery, use, commercialization and role in health promotion and disease risk reduction. The course will be instructed by a group of renowned scientists from academia, government labs and industry and will discuss the latest developments in the field.
Course Length: 2 days (July 12-13, 2013)
You will be able to:
- Provide background knowledge to antioxidants and measurement of antioxidant efficacy as well as the latest findings in the field.
- Provide the latest information on measurement of antioxidant efficacy and the application of traditional and novel antioxidants.
- Provide the latest on the health benefits of antioxidants and their role in disease risk reduction.
- Consumer Insights
- Food Scientists
- New Product Managers and technologists
- Personnel who interact with R&D
- Product Developers
- Sales & Marketing
Learning Level: Beginner/Intermediate
Special Assistance provided by: International Society for Nutraceuticals and Functional Foods
Continuing Education Credits:
- This course qualifies for Certified Food Scientist (CFS) recertification contact hours (CH). CFS Certificants may claim a maximum of 15 CH for their participation.
- This course meets requirements for Research Chefs Association Certification Commission guidelines for acceptable continuing education for certification renewal purposes for Certified Research Chefs and Certified Culinary Scientists. Contact RCA for more information.
- IFT is a Continuing Professional Education Accredited Provider (IN141) with the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’ Commission on Dietetic Registration. Registered Dietitians and Dietetic Technicians will receive 15 continuing education professional education units for participation in this course.