2013 Video Competition for Students
A Day in the Life of a Food Science Student
About the Competition
Move over MTV Movie Awards – The Poppys are back! Get your director chair and video cameras ready to create a short video on “A Day In the Life of a Food Science Student.” After channeling your inner Ben Affleck, send us your video and earn the chance to win IFT’s coveted video award – The Poppy. Three student finalists will have their videos showcased during the Opening General Session on Sunday, July 14, 2013 in Chicago. In addition to receiving a Poppy, VIP seating will be provided for up to 5 team members per video, and a surprise package will be sent to the finalists to host a celebratory viewing party back home.
- The primary submitter must be a member of the Institute of Food Technologists Student Association (IFTSA).
- Videos should be 1–4 minutes in length and reflect the life of a student in fun and a creative way. Submissions should be made via the IFT YouSendIt account by Wednesday, May 15 at 5:00 p.m. CST. Entries may not include unsuitable content; obscenity; disparagement; defamation; pornography; harassment; racial, ethnic, or sexual slurs; other offensive conduct or material, or otherwise include inappropriate or unlawful content, at IFT's discretion.
- Both individual member and team submissions are permitted. Team submissions should be submitted only once by one member of the team. There is no limit on the number of submissions per team or individual.
- At least one representative from each submitting team should plan to attend the IFT Annual Meeting Opening General Session on Sunday, July 14, 2013 in Chicago.
- By participating in the competition, you fully and unconditionally agree to and accept these rules and the decisions of IFT, which are final and binding in all matters related to the competition. Whether or not you receive a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth in these rules. The competition is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and is void where prohibited by law. Videos will not be judged if any of the above eligibility criteria are not met.
Judging & Criteria
A panel of five (5) judges both IFT members and communications professionals will review and choose the top three (3) videos based on the criteria below. The top three (3) videos will be highlighted, and the winner will be announced, during the Opening General Session on Sunday, July 14, 2013..
CriteriaCreativity (50% or up to 50 points): Video submissions should be original, fun, entertaining and convey their message in a unique way.
Content (25% or up to 25 points): Video submissions should portray food science in an accurate and positive way.
Production Quality (25% or up to 25 points): Video submissions should have good audio quality, visual clarity, and coherent editing.
Qualifying videos will be posted on IFT’s Facebook page starting on June 3. IFT members, IFT13 attendees, and others will be asked to vote for their favorite video(s). Voting will close on June 14 at 11:59pm CST. The video with the most votes will win a Poppy for ‘Fan Favorite’.