Teaching & Learning
New this year, we will be launching a robust Teaching & Learning Program for academic members and other educators who are interested in teaching excellence, research and extension/outreach. This brings several exciting changes to benefit both intellectual and social pursuits for food science educators. After surveying members last year, it became clear that we have a unique opportunity to provide enhanced and interactive programming that meet attendee needs and models adult learning research.
Two of the most notable program enhancements include:
The Teaching & Learning SPA (Science Practice Application) Lounge
With the SPA Lounge, attendees interested in teaching and learning are now have dedicated place to socialize, network, and interact with colleagues throughout the meeting.
Located in McCormick Place, Room S103CD, the SPA Lounge will be open on the following dates and times:
- Sunday, July 14: 8am – 5pm
- Monday, July 15: 8am – 5pm
- Tuesday, July 16: 8am – 4pm
The SPA Lounge is more than just a place to have a great conversation or connect with your peers who you see only once a year. It also delivers the education you told us that you want to see.
This Beacon Lecture inspired general session will be followed by a space-limited workshop. Dr. Clyde Herreid will address the power of different delivery formats for case studies, problem based learning, and other active learning teaching methodologies.
Additional programming features include:
- Shorter learning opportunities (30-50 minutes max)
- Meet with IFT Award winners at scheduled times to learn about their accomplishments
- Technology demonstrations: A poster/hands-on computer demonstration hybrid session
- Interactive skill-building courses
- Meeting with Education & Extension & Outreach poster presenters at scheduled times
- Social learning opportunities with peers
- What the Journal of Food Science is, where is it going, and why you should submit your work
And much, much more! For session details, access our online program planner and choose Teaching & Learning in the Session Track field.
If you have any questions about the SPA Lounge, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.